POST PRO PICKS CHALLENGE (“PROMOTION”) OFFICIAL RULES
No purchase necessary.
1. Eligibility. You must be a legal resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, and 18 years of age or older at time of entry in order to be eligible to participate in the Promotion. However, only legal residents of the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry are eligible to win a prize in the Promotion. Proof of residency and age may be required. Employees, officers, directors and representatives of WP Company LLC d/b/a the Washington Post ("Sponsor") and Upickem, Inc. d/b/a Second Street Media Solutions ("Promotion Administrator"), and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions and advertising and/or promotion agencies involved in the Promotion and immediate family members (spouse and parents, siblings and children and their spouses) and persons living in the same households of each of the above are ineligible to win a prize. Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws apply.
2. How to Enter. The Promotion begins on September 2, 2013 and ends fifteen (15) minutes before the scheduled kick-off of the Super Bowl on February 2, 2014 ("Promotion Entry Period"). The Promotion Entry Period consists of twenty-one (21) separate, weekly entry periods (each, a "Weekly Entry Period"). A specific Weekly Entry Period will be identified by reference to a week number (e.g., Weekly Entry Period 1 would be the first week of the Promotion which commences on September 2, 2013). Except for Weekly Entry Period 1, all Weekly Entry Periods commence promptly after the last football game associated with the prior Weekly Entry Period ends. During each Weekly Entry Period (unless noted otherwise), you will have the opportunity (subject to these Official Rules) to participate in the following three distinct portions of the Promotion: (i) full season competition where you will compete for the Grand Prize ("Grand Prize Competition"), (ii) weekly competition where you will compete for a Weekly Prize for that Weekly Entry Period (each a "Weekly Competition"), and (iii) during the regular season (first seventeen (17) weeks of the Promotion only), the survivor game where you will compete for the Survivor Game Prize ("Survivor Game").
To participate in the Promotion, visit http://washingtonpost.com/pro-picks, to view the Promotion online entry form. The Promotion entry form includes (i) a list of the match-ups for each of the listed professional football games (each a "Match-Up" and, collectively, "Match-Ups") for the current Weekly Entry Period where entrants must predict the winner of each listed game, (ii) a tiebreaker game where entrants must predict the score of one of the listed games, and (iii) a prompt to enter the Survivor Game where entrants must select a team that the entrant believes will win its game during that Weekly Entry Period (subject to the restrictions described below). The number of Match-Ups listed for a given Weekly Entry Period may vary from the number of Match-Ups for other Weekly Entry Periods based on whether football teams have a bye for that week and whether the Weekly Entry Period includes post-season games (in which case there will be fewer games). To receive an entry in one or more portions of the Promotion and be eligible for a chance to win a prize, you must follow the presented instructions and (i) register (if you have not previously registered for any of the weekly promotions by providing the requested entrant information (e.g., your first and last names, your chosen display name, e-mail address)), and (ii) login as directed and provide your answers to a tie-breaker question, to the Survivor Game question and, for each presented Match-Up, select one of the two listed teams which you believe will win the upcoming game. Limit one (1) entry submission per person per Weekly Entry Period. Limit one registration per person for the Promotion.
For each Match-Up, your selected winning team (and, for the tie-breaker game, your predicted score of that game) must be submitted and received at least 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of that game. For the Survivor Game, your selected winning team must be submitted and received at least 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of that team's game. In addition, your selected team for the Survivor Game cannot be a team that you previously selected in a prior Weekly Entry Period for the Survivor Game. Sponsor's clock shall be the official timekeeper for this Sweepstakes.
If you fail to make (and/or Sponsor does not receive) your selections for one or more Match-Ups before the stated deadline, you will be unable to make your own selection for such Match-Up(s) and, instead, the computer will select (on your behalf as your selections if you are already registered as set forth above) the team(s) most picked by other Promotion entrants for that Match-Up. If you fail to select a winner for more than one game in a given week you are not eligible to win a weekly prize and you are not eligible to win the grand prize unless you complete your picks for each game for at least 11 weeks.
If you fail to submit (and/or Sponsor does not receive) the predicted score of the tiebreaker game before the stated deadline, then the computer will give you the Average Predicted Score for each team playing in that tiebreaker game (as long as you are already registered for the Promotion). The "Average Predicted Score" of a team is determined by averaging all score predictions from other entrants that were timely received by Sponsor for that team.
If you fail to select a team for the Survivor game before the stated deadline, then you will be eliminated from that portion of the Promotion.
Each online entrant in the Promotion must be the rightful owner or have authorized use of the e-mail account associated with the entrant's provided e-mail address. If you do not have Internet access at home, you may visit a local public library for Internet access and then obtain a free e-mail account with an online service provider. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the winner, the winner will be deemed to be the person in whose name the e-mail account associated with the provided e-mail address is opened at the time of entry. Limit one (1) person per e-mail address. Except as permitted herein, photocopies, mechanically reproduced or computer generated entry blanks are ineligible and will be disqualified. Sponsor not responsible for lost, illegible, incomplete, mutilated or stolen entries; printing errors appearing on the entry form, within these Official Rules, in any Promotion related advertisements or other materials; or other errors of any kind whether mechanical, human, electronic or otherwise. Entries that are late, illegible, incomplete, unreadable, damaged, delayed, lost, tampered with, incomprehensible, forged, mutilated, misdirected, inaccurate, unintelligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules will be disqualified. All entries generated by a script, macro or other automated/repetitive electronic means (except as permitted herein) will be disqualified and ineligible for the Promotion. All requested information on the registration and entry forms must be completed in English to enter and be eligible. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
3. Selection of Winners.
Weekly Prize Winners. For each of the twenty-one (21) Weekly Entry Periods, the one (1) eligible entrant who correctly selects the winning team in the most Match-Ups for that Weekly Entry Period will be selected as the winner of that Weekly Entry Period (each a "Weekly Winner"). If you fail to select a winner for any game, your pick will be the team that was selected by the majority of participants. However, you are not eligible to win a weekly prize if you fail to select a winner for more than one game in a given week.
Regular Season Games – 1 point; Wild Card and Divisional Playoff Game – 4 points; Conference Championships – 8 points; Super Bowl – 16 points
If a game is canceled, postponed or forfeited for any reason, or if a game ends in a tie, no points will be awarded for that game.
In the event that two or more eligible entrants are tied in selecting the winning team in the most Match-Ups, then the following tiebreaker will be used:
The computer will take all such tied eligible entrants and, for each such entrant:
1. Subtract what the entrant chose as the winning team's score for the tiebreaker game for that Weekly Entry Period from the actual winning team's score and square this value.
2. Subtract what the entrant chose as the losing team's score for the tiebreaker game for that Weekly Entry Period from the actual losing team's score and square this value.
3. Add 1 and 2 above together to get the entrant's "score approximation".
4. The entrant with the lowest "score approximation" wins.
If there is still a tie, the computer then chooses a random winner from among those who are still tied after step #4 above.
For each Weekly Competition, odds of winning a Weekly Prize depend upon your ability to select the winning teams in the presented Match-Ups, the performance of other eligible entrants to do the same, and the number of eligible entrants who select the winning team in the most Match-Ups.
Grand Prize Winner. Subject to the limitations set forth herein, the one (1) eligible entrant with the highest total net score throughout the Promotion Entry Period will be selected as the Grand Prize winner ("Grand Prize Winner"). The point value for selecting the winner of each game is as follows:
Regular Season Games - 1 point
Wild Card and Divisional Playoff Game - 4 points
Conference Finals - 8 points
Championship Game - 16 points.
In calculating each entrant's score, the Promotion Administrator will only consider the results of the seventeen (17) weeks where such entrant scored the most points. In other words, the four weeks where the entrant correctly selected the fewest winners will be discarded for purposes of calculating scores. In addition, an entrant is not eligible to win the grand prize unless picks are completed for each game for at least 11 weeks. In the event that two or more eligible entrants are tied with the highest score, then the following tiebreaker will be used:
The computer will take all such tied eligible entrants and, for each such entrant:
1. Subtract what the entrant chose as the winning team's score for Weekly Entry Period 21 from the actual winning team's score and square this value.
2. Subtract what the entrant chose as the losing team's score for Weekly Entry Period 21 from the actual losing team's score and square this value.
3. Add 1 and 2 above together to get the entrant's "score approximation".
4. The entrant with the lowest "score approximation" wins.
If there is still a tie, the computer then looks back at the previous week's tie-breaker "score approximation" for those entrants who were still tied after step #4 above. If there is still a tie the computer goes back each week for those entrants who still remain tied until the tie is broken. If there is still a tie after going back through all the weeks the computer chooses a random winner from among those who are still tied.
Odds of winning the Grand Prize depend upon your ability to select the winning teams in the Match-Ups during the entire Promotion, the performance of other entrants to do the same, and the number of entrants who select the winning team in the most Match-Ups during the entire Promotion.
Survivor Game Winner. Beginning with Weekly Entry Period 1, entrants must pick a team they are sure will win that week in order to be eligible to participate in the Survivor Game portion of the Promotion. If an entrant picks a team that wins its game or wins by forfeit during that Weekly Entry Period, that entrant will advance to the next week of the Survivor Game. However, in future Weekly Entry Periods, the entrant can't pick the same team again as his/her winning team for the Survivor Game. If the entrant selects a team that loses its game or loses by forfeit, or if the game the entrant selects is cancelled or indefinitely suspended, then that entrant is eliminated from the Survivor Game portion of the Promotion (though he/she can still participate in the other portions of the Promotion). If the game which an entrant selects results in a tie, it counts as a win and entrant is still eligible to participate in the Survivor Game during the next Weekly Entry Period. The one (1) eligible entrant who remains after all other entrants have been eliminated will be the Survivor Game Winner. Note that the Survivor Game Winner could be determined prior to Weekly Entry Period 17 if there is only one eligible entrant remaining as of the earlier Weekly Entry Period. If two or more eligible entrants remain after Week 17, then the tie will be broken by looking at the final, cumulative Match-Up scores for the first 17 weeks of the Promotion of the remaining entrants using the same criteria and tiebreaking methodology, if necessary, that is used for selecting the Grand Prize Winner except that (i) instead of using a tied entrant's best 17 weeks of scores, Sponsor will simply consider an entrant's scores for Weekly Entry Periods 1 through 17, and (ii) instead of using the provided tiebreaker game scores for Weekly Entry Period 21, Sponsor will use the provided tiebreaker game scores for Weekly Entry Period 17. If there are no eligible entrants remaining in the Survivor game as of the end of Weekly Entry Period 17, then Sponsor and Promotion Administrator will determine which two or more entrants were eliminated from the Survivor Game during the latest Weekly Entry Period. Such entrants will be deemed to be "tied", with such tie being broken as set forth in the immediately preceding sentence.
Odds of winning the Survivor Game Prize depend upon your ability to select a winning team during each and every Weekly Entry Period, the performance of other entrants to do the same, and the number of entrants who select a winning team during each end every Weekly Entry Period.
General. All decisions of the Sponsor and Promotion Administrator are final. If a game is canceled, forfeited, or indefinitely suspended for any reason, or if a game results in a tie, that game shall not count for any contestant and scores will be computed as if the game did not exist unless otherwise indicated herein. If a registered entrant does not provide his/her picks prior to the stated deadline, the computer automatically will select the most picked teams for such entrant (and treat such selections as if the entrant had selected them), provided that (i) an entrant can not win a Weekly Prize unless he/she makes all of his/her own picks for that Weekly Entry Period, (ii) an entrant can not win the Grand Prize unless he/she makes all of the selections for at least 11 weeks of the Promotion (just over half) on his/her own, and (iii) the entrant will no longer be eligible to participate in the Survivor Game and will not be eligible to win the Survivor Game Prize.
Selected winners will be notified by e-mail within approximately one week of being selected as a winner. Sponsor shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a potential winner for any reason. In Sponsor's sole discretion, a potential winner may be disqualified and required to forfeit his/her prize, and an alternate winner may be selected in accordance with these Official Rules from among the remaining eligible entries for that prize, if potential winner (i) is unreachable after seven (7) days or winner notification is returned as undeliverable; (ii) declines or cannot accept, receive or use a prize for any reason; or (iii) fails to comply with these Official Rules. A forfeited prize may not be awarded. Selected winners may be sent (via facsimile and/or other method determined in sole discretion of Sponsor) an affidavit of eligibility together with liability/publicity release for selected winner ("Affidavit and Release"). If sent, such selected winner must complete, notarize and return as directed by Sponsor or, in Sponsor's sole discretion, such prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner may be selected in accordance with these Official Rules from among the remaining eligible entries for that prize. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the notification procedures in connection with the selection of an alternate winner, if any.
4. Prizes. ONE (1) GRAND PRIZE. One (1) Grand Prize winner (i.e., the winner of the Grand Prize Competition) will receive a Midweek sports package for four (4) people for three (3) days and two (2) nights at Wintergreen Resort, located in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. The package is available Sunday-Thursday nights (non-holiday) through February 14, 2015 and includes the following: Accommodations for four in one two bedroom mountain top villa; lift tickets, golf, one hour of outdoor tennis, admission to the Aquatics & Fitness Center; hiking along 30 miles of marked hiking trails (ARV: $1,100). ARV of entire Grand Prize: $1,100. TWENTY-ONE (21) WEEKLY PRIZES. Each of the twenty-one Weekly Prize winners (i.e., each a winner of a Weekly Competition) will receive one (1) $50 restaurant.com certificate provided by Big Screen Store (ARV: $50). Prize must be redeemed by March 1, 2014. ONE (1) SURVIVOR GAME PRIZE. One (1) Survivor Game winner will receive a Midweek sports package for four (4) people for three (3) days and two (2) nights at Wintergreen Resort, located in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. The package is available Sunday-Thursday nights (non-holiday) through February 14, 2014 and includes the following: Accommodations for four in one two bedroom mountain top villa; lift tickets, golf, one hour of outdoor tennis, admission to the Aquatics & Fitness Center; hiking along 30 miles of marked hiking trails (ARV: $1,000). ARV of entire Grand Prize: $1,000. Total ARV of all prizes: $3,250. Limit one (1) Weekly Prize per person. Prizes are subject to availability. Prizes may not be exchanged. Unless indicated, all expenses associated with a prize or the use of a prize are not included and are the sole responsibility of winner. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent of prize permitted by a winner. Sponsor may substitute a prize (or an element of a prize) with one of equal or greater retail value if a prize (or an element of a prize) is unavailable or cannot be awarded for any reason. The value of the prizes set forth above represent Sponsor's good faith determination of the ARV thereof, is final and binding and cannot be appealed. In the event the ARV is less than the actual retail value of the prize, the difference will not be awarded in cash or otherwise. Reporting and payment of any applicable federal, state and local taxes are the responsibility of each winner. Each winner may, in Sponsor's sole discretion, be required to complete an IRS form W-9. Sponsor reserves the right to withhold prizes until completed form W-9 is received.
5. General Conditions. By participating in this Promotion, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and the Promotion Administrator, which are final and binding in all respects and cannot be appealed. By entering, each entrant agrees and acknowledges that Sponsor and Promotion Administrator and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, divisions, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective employees, officers, shareholders, representatives, directors and agents (collectively, "Releasees") are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries; (ii) telephone system, facsimile, technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections or transmissions, disconnections or other errors of any kind whether mechanical, human, electronic or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Promotion, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in connection with the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses, costs, expenses or damages to person or property of any kind caused, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by the prize or resulting from redemption, acceptance, possession, loss or use or misuse of any prize or from participating in the Promotion or any Promotion related activity; (v) inability to participate in the Promotion; or (vi) any printing, typographical, administrative, human or technological errors in any material associated with the Promotion. In the event more winner notifications are issued, or more winning prize claims are received, than the number of prizes set forth in these Official Rules due to computer, printing, human or other error or problem, a random drawing will take place from among all eligible prize claims for the prize(s) at issue (or from among all persons so notified) to award the proper number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules. No more than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules will be awarded. Releasees have not made and/or are not responsible for any misrepresentation or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes. By accepting a prize, each winner agrees and acknowledges that Releasees and any of their designees may, without any limitation or further compensation, use his or her name, voice, biographical data and/or likeness in any and all media now known or hereinafter devised, throughout the universe and in perpetuity, for the purpose of advertising and promoting the Promotion or any other promotion, contest or sweepstakes sponsored by Sponsor and/or Promotion Administrator, except where prohibited by law.
Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system related to participating in or accessing or downloading information in connection with the Promotion. By entering the Promotion, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Promotion, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out of pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Promotion, but in no event will attorneys' fees be awarded or recoverable; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby knowingly and expressly waives all rights to seek, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and/or any other damages, other than actual out of pocket expenses, and/or any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend this Promotion (or any portion of the Promotion) should an error or a virus, bug, computer problem or other cause or problem corrupt or inhibit the administration, security or proper operation of the Promotion and, in such situation, to select the winner(s) from among the remaining eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to and/or after the action taken or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In the event that Promotion is modified, cancelled or suspended, notification of such event will be posted at www.washingtonpost.com. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Promotion or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor's representatives. The interpretation of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the United States and the District of Columbia by and within the courts of that jurisdiction.
Neither the National Football League nor any of its member teams are affiliated with the Promotion. The Promotion and all of the related pages, contents and code are copyright, Upickem, Inc., and/or its affiliates and/or third parties. Copying or unauthorized use of any copyrighted materials, trademarks or any other intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited. All results posted are unofficial until winners respond to e-mail notification.
This Promotion is not intended for gambling. If it is determined that a entrant is using the Promotion for gambling purposes they will be disqualified and reported to authorities.
7. Sponsor and Promotion Administrator. Sponsor: WP Company LLC. (d/b/a "Washington Post"), 1150 15th Street, NW, 7th Floor, Washington, DC 20071. Promotion Administrator: Upickem, Inc., 317 N 11th Street, Suite 302, St. Louis, MO, 63101.
8. Winners List/Official Rules. Rules For the names of the prize winners, available February 15, 2014, or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope (Vermont residents need not affix return postage on requests for the Official Rules) to: Post Pro Picks, c/o Washington Post Sports Department, 1150 15th St NW, Washington, D.C. 20071. Please specify "Official Rules" or "Winner List." Requests must be received by 8/15/14.